“6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Whatever tries us in anyway, speak to the Lord about it.- George Muller
It’s my off day from duty, from doctors, from patients and from co-medical workers. Yes, I’m a missionary nurse working in a mission hospital, far from my home which makes me feel sick at times since I keep on missing my love ones, my father who lives alone since my mom died already, my one and only niece who loves hello kitty.
Anyway being a nurse is not an easy task, as you are dealing with life, so with one mistake it might cause death to the patient. And honestly? I don’t know how to start my duty days without a prayer, as prayer is my comfort.
The truth, I had no interest in prayer before, not until God saved and taught me how to pray through the scripture. Yes, I make it a point to meet with God three times a day and silently pray in my closet just like Daniel who has an excellent spirit (Daniel 6:3). I once heard Paul Washer preaching about the prayer life of Daniel which I believed contributed of him having an excellent spirit.
Majority knew about the story of Daniel in the den of lions, and how God rescued Him. As I read the story in Daniel and how calm he was despite of facing death in the face of the lions, I can’t help but admire his “excellent spirit”, a spirit that trusted God no matter what situation he might face. And so I believed that one of Daniel’s secret in having such “excellent spirit” is his unfailing prayer life, unfailing schedule of meeting God. Daniel 6:10 says that he prayed 3 times a day, an unfailing fellowship and communion with God.
Daniel 6:10” Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime.”(KJV)
Three times a day of unfailing fellowship and communion with the Lord I believed is his secret of having a calm and excellent spirit as he faced death in the face of the lions. Indeed a healthy prayer life will give you victory before life’s battle even began. That is why in 1 Thessalonians 5:17, we are instructed to “pray without ceasing”, as prayer is our weapon against the accuser of the brethren, the father of all lies “Satan” (Revelation 12:10).
In the words of John Piper he said that
“”Life is a war..Prayer is a wartime walkie talkie for spiritual warfare, not a domestic intercom to increase the comforts of the saints”- John Piper
I have to agree with John Piper as life is really a battle with Satan and his lies that will pull a Christian down from the faith, and by prayer we can fight against him by asking God’s grace for sustenance.
In my case, I am a nurse who works in a mission hospital which has a theme of “heal the sick, preach the word”, I have no option but to surrender my duty schedule to God through a quiet prayer time in my room, and just like Daniel, I do it three times a day, in my closet alone with God . Yes I do schedule my “alone with God in my own war room” as it is Biblical illustrated by the prayer life of Daniel. By doing this I can testify that I have peace as I go on with my duty in the hospital no matter how critical the patients are, as I surrender my day to God through prayer.
I can testify that the peace of God is within me because His grace is sufficient that sustains me in dealing with the sick people, in dealing with my “home sick” episode as I am far from my home. Indeed it is true that we need not to worry everything as God’s grace is sufficient, if only every Christian will learn and endure everything in prayer.
“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 “
Philippians 4:6-7 says that we should not be anxious in “everything” but in prayer let our request be known unto God, and our hearts and minds will direct us to the Lord Jesus Christ, our peace and our only hope (1 Timothy 1:1). And the truth is? I have my own bucket list of prayer items before going to war fare as I worked in the hospital, dealing with the dying and the sick patients.
Here are some of my bucket list prayer items:
1) Wisdom that is peaceable as I go through my duty that will enable me to have a righteous judgment in every situation that needs correct judgment in caring for the patients. (James 3:17)
“17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17”
2) A lowly heart and mind that will enable me to work harmoniously with everyone, a heart that conforms to the heart of Christ which is lowly and meek. (Matthew 11:29)
3) A Christ centered heart that will enable me to perform my duties for His glory and honor. (1 Cor.10:31)
4) Focus in my work as I am dealing with life.
5) Sufficient grace for sustenance everyday.
6) Protection against evil thoughts that will contaminate my heart which bring reproach to God, for what’s on the heart the mouth speaks, for out of the abundance of the heart are the issues of life. (Matthew 15:18; Proverbs 4:23)
7) A strong prayer life, without fainting so that I can pray for others. (Luke 18:1)
8) Grace that will increase my faith that helps with my unbelieving heart . (Luke 17:5,Mark 9:24)
9) Forgiveness of sin (Matthew 6:12)
10) Renewal of spirit and having a clean heart. (Psalm 51:10)
11) Mercy and goodness from the Lord all the days of my life. (Psalm 23:6)
12) Preservation of a good testimony, as a good name is rather to be chosen than riches of this world. (Proverbs 22:1)
13) Being an example to the believer in anyway that Christ be honored. (1 Timothy 4:12)
“Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.1 Timothy 4:12”
14) Filling of the Holy Spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23)
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.Galatians 5:22-23”
These are just few of my prayer items, as the Holy Spirit is leading every Christian to the right bucket list of prayer every time they pray according to the will of God. (Romans 8:26).
I must say that just like Daniel, every believer will have an excellent spirit in dealing with every situation if only they will learn to endure everything in prayer.
GOD IS FAITHFUL